Thursday, July 2, 2009

Breaking through the Finishline

Alas, after six grueling weeks of endless job hunting, three temporary location changes, upward of 100+ job applications submitted and countless prayers...

I GOT A JOB!!!


The chase is finally over. And it didn't come easy either, as you can read from my posts below. Even the interview process with the company was brutal by itself. Five rounds of interviews, each very very difficult. After each round, I thought to myself, "Well, they won't be calling me back. I totally blew it." I'm glad they did continue to see something in me. I couldn't be happier with the company I landed. It is a great company to work for, solvent, growing pretty steadily (which is quite rare in this economy), and not to mention offered me a great package. I am very lucky. I read in an article somewhere that the average job hunt right now is twelve weeks. I couldn't be happier that I completed the hunt well ahead of the national average.

This offer came just in the nick of time too. In the beginning of the week, I decided if I didn't get any job leads by Friday, that I would be packing up and staying with My Ate to take some time to pick myself back up. Then I received a call to do a phone interview with a company I applied to back in May. I didn't even remember what the position was since it had been so long since I submitted the application. Though the initial contact took a little over a month, the interview process went by quickly. I did an interview everyday this week. Wednesday, I did two back-to-back, and later on in the evening I received notice that an offer letter would be coming my way. I was scheduled to go in the office the next day to go over the offer and sign some papers. Since Friday is a holiday, I'm scheduled to start next Monday. My boss told me "for the right person, we are willing to expedite the process and get you working asap". I didn't anticipate it would be that quick considering my history with interview processes with other companies I dealt with.

When I received the phone call that an offer letter was pending, in an effort to save face with the company, I disguised my overflowing elation with a simple "Great! I look forward to working with you." But you can bet your bottom dollar once I hung up the phone I broke down. The first person I told the good news to was my Dad. I had been so moody towards my family, especially my Dad throughout the past six weeks. He particularly was the receiver of undeserving rude remarks from me. I took out a lot of frustration on him and he just took it without getting angry back at me. He deserved a friendly, good-news-phone-call from me.

A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and for the first time since I've been here, I can breathe a huge sigh of relief. It is rare that I praise myself for my actions and decisions. I think it is arrogant not to mention I'm never really satisfied with being stagnant. I'm always looking for ways to grow, never sitting back watching life go by. But this is a major accomplishment and I have to relish in this moment. This whole process has been a huge gamble on life--just packing my car up rather spontaneously, driving to NYC for a job interview with no real idea of my chances, and continuing to search for a job when others fell through with no leads in one of the hardest places to make it in the world. I cannot be more prouder of how I've faced the challenges refusing to let go of my dreams. I've done it.

I don't mean to sound like an acceptance speech, but I have so many people to be thankful for. I truly had a great support system throughout this whole journey. Every facebook message, tweet, e-mail, phone call, and text message meant more to me than I can express. I normally have my text messages auto-delete after I read it. However, as cheesy as it may sound, I kept all messages from people that were encouraging and wished me luck. Re-reading each of them really motivated me when I felt down. Knowing how many people believed in me really made me believe in myself. THANK YOU ALL!!! Above all, thanks be to God. I prayed--so hard--every night and before every interview and He answered my prayers. I've never felt a stronger relationship with the Lord and will only continue to build upon my faith since He has given me so much.

NYC Bound. When I started this blog, the the definition of bound in this context meant 'destined; certain'. Now, my blog takes on a whole new meaning. NYC Bound can now be in the context of 'tied to; in bonds with'. Here's to the next chapter in my life. Life in the city starts now!

No comments:

Post a Comment