Monday, February 9, 2009

My Ate

Everyone has that one person they can turn to for absolutely everything. The only person who will listen to your circular rants over and over again with no complaints. The only brutally honest opinion you can tolerate. The only person who chases your dreams just as hard as you do, just for you. The person who supports you 100% no matter what; you two against the world.

Their go-to person. Their ride or die. Their rock.

My older sister has always been this person for me. Coming from Filipino heritage, in Tagalog, Ate (ah-teh) is loosely translated as older sister. But over the years, I think this translation has evolved to mean so much more to me. Ever since I was a little girl, Ate was my role model, the person I looked up to. Even now, our relationship has remained the only constant in my life. I still admire her and all that she is everyday.

Ate has recently helped me during an extremely rough patch in my life. The word 'helped' is a complete understatement because she has done so much more for me than that. If it wasn't for my Ate, my steady faltering life would continue its downward spiral into nothingness. Times like these in my life are reminders of who I can always turn to and be ever grateful to: My Ate.

It is always me and her no matter what. She's my best friend, and has helped me in more ways than anyone can imagine. I only hope to repay her some day.

Mahal na mahal kita, Ate. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment