Monday, July 6, 2009

4th of July

In celebration of my new job, and of course of United States independence, I decided to spend the holiday with the closest person to family I have in the city. Caroline, my college roommate and best friend, moved to NYC a couple weeks after I made my way up here. Unlike me, she already had a job. We hadn't had a chance to really spend time together since she was a busy working girl and I of course was busy job hunting, so it was nice to finally get the chance to cut loose with a familiar face. Plus it only seemed appropriate to celebrate my employment with someone who was equally as excited as I was about being a new New Yorker. Watching my first fireworks in the city with my best friend was the first time I really opened my eyes to what lies ahead.

Growing up a military brat, I've lived in many different places moving every three years of my life. I've become so accustomed to changing locations every three years, moving to a new place was a routine I've become used to. After four years in Raleigh, NC my internal clock was urging me to leave the south. With the frequent moves, losing touch with great friends became something I've learned to accept. However, with this move, I'm grateful to know that Caroline isn't a friend that I will slowly lose touch with. In fact, I only see our friendship blossoming in this chapter of our lives. We've only got each other in this city, and she is the only person I really can trust up here. It will be nice to have my best friend by my side to experience the journey of finding our place in this city. After all, we both are technically "freshman" again (NYC newbies and brand new to the working world).

I have so much to look forward to, life possibly can't any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment