Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Office Blunder 1 & 2

In an effort to humor my readers, and also make light of embarrassing situtations, I decided to start updating you all of my many mishaps at the office. Since I am new to the working world, I can foresee tons of naive and mortifying moments ahead. In fact, I was recently told that I had replaced a 25-year-old as not only the newbie, but also the youngest person in the company. So I guess jokes and embarrassment are inevitable. Here are just two lessons learned, keeping in mind I've been employed for only a week and a half:

1. I never really realized how much I sound like a young 12-year-old girl with pigtails and a lollipop in my hand until now. Often times I find myself terribly flushed after saying the most normal things ("good morning", "have a great weekend", "thanks") because of my delivery. I don't know why I associate sounding friendly with a high pitched tone, but I've suddenly become so self-conscious with everything I say at work. So my ongoing goal is to focus on making my delivery sound less like a teeny bopper and more like a business professional that wants to be taken seriously.

2. To make matters worse, perhaps even more mortifying than my girly girl voice is decking out the office with girly girl pink. Yes, I did that. As part of my work, I have administrative rights to a software that everyone in the company utilizes daily. While playing around with the system trying to become accustomed to working on it, I decided to change the "look & feel" of my background. Not knowing I was not only changing my background, but also the entire company's background, I made my background pink. I would have never known that everyone elses changed if I hadn't overheard someone say "Hey, is everyone elses homepage pink? The software must have automatically updated. Wonder why they picked pink though!" Luckily no one (to my knowledge) knew I was actually the culprit. I changed it back a few days later after it was no longer being questioned around the office. No need to elaborate on how unbelievably mortified I was everytime I heard someone mention the pink. It's self explanatory. Perhaps later on down the road, I'll come clean to everyone and laugh about it. Because it is funny on the outside looking in, I suppose.

As much as I hate to admit it, I will keep these funny mishaps coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment