Friday, June 5, 2009

Update of My Rollercoaster Ride

I sometimes wonder how different my life would be if my mother allowed me to skip the 1st and 3rd grade when I was younger and I was 2 years ahead of schedule on my education making me a 2007 college graduate versus a 2009 college graduate. Meaning, I probably would have had better luck finding a job in 2007 instead being stuck in the predicament I'm presently in. (Where was I going with this again??? Oh yeah...) I've been told by many people that this huge leap I'm taking is "badass" and "pretty impressive". Well, this rocky ride is telling me otherwise because if this is what being a badass feels like then I'm not sure I'm cut out for this life on the edge.

It has been nearly three weeks since I've moved migrated to New York. I say migrated because I still don't consider myself fully moved yet. Although I have no intentions of leaving I still have trouble breathing easy until I secure a job. Until then, its the same ol' searching for a job like its my job. Funny as it may sound, this process typically is time consuming and fills up a full working day for me. And I think in these past three weeks, this full-time job hunt could perhaps be drawing to a close. Here's where I'm at now:

I've left Connecticut and now am in the city house-sitting and dog-sitting for a couple while they are on vacation. Pretty sweet gig, the dog bull terrier scary creature is actually pretty chill. Their apartment is a huge full floor artist loft in Chinatown. Lol...yes me, being an Asian girl, has managed to have my first (although temporary) place of residence be ironically in Chinatown. I like the area I live in though, good food around and an easy walk to the subway. Unfortunately, its only until the 15th which means I need to find a.) another place to stay i.e. friends couch or b.) a semi-permanent residence. The only degree of difference between the two options is me getting a job.

I interviewed with another company earlier this morning and it went extremely well. I'm supposed to hear back from them by the end of this upcoming week so I'm crossing my fingers because the outcome of this job dictates whether I am on a friends couch continuing my full-time job search or finding a place of my own and finally working.

On top of this interview I'm waiting to hear the results of, I'm also still in communication with the company I originally came up here for. They still want me on board and have suggested that I go ahead and start working with them to ramp things up with their current major project. However, we have yet to discuss the terms of my employment (salary, benefits, job security, etc...) so I'm extremely hesitant. I am in no position to work for free or offer my services without a sense of where its going to take me. It's hard because I really like this company and it is exactly what I want to do career-wise. Hopefully they come back at me this week with some sort of assurance, or even better, a job offer.

Either way, this upcoming week can be a crucial turning point for me. I'm hoping I am offered both positions versus none. I'd rather have to make a tough decision with two great companies than be empty-handed. I'm extremely hopeful, and am itching in anticipation for what this short week has ahead of me. In the meantime, I'm going to take some time and enjoy being in Nyc. I mean, the ball is in their court now and out of my hands; I might as well just relax and explore what this beautiful city has to offer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment