Friday, June 26, 2009

Job Hunt Update

So since the last time I've updated you on my journey, I just had an good interview with a company and was waiting word back. I was also waiting to hear back from the company I originally came up here and interviewed with. Since then, I've followed up with both only to have unresponsive parties on the other end. Just my luck. The hardest part for me to fathom is knowing how great the interview went but not hearing back. I know my feelings post-interview aren't just imagined--I'm not that delusional. So it begs the question: What went wrong? Why not me?

I came to the realization that great interviews aren't going to be enough in this city. No one is going to give me a job just because I know how to answer tough questions and know the right words they want to hear. I have to be more than that. There are hundreds of people, especially in New York, and especially in this job market that are capable of giving a great interview. On top of that, coming straight out of college starting out at the bottom of the totem pole doesn't really help much. Since this job market has been so rough, I'm not only competing for positions with other entry level candidates, but also those with work experience that have lost their jobs for one reason or another. I didn't expect this process to be easy, of course. At the same time, times couldn't be anymore difficult. It comes to a point where I have to be ruthless. This is my life. My dream. I can't let anyone get in the way of it. [pause for dramatic effect, right?!]

I know I'm being slightly over the top. Keep in mind I've been up here for 5-1/2 weeks with no income, no permanent place of residence (I'm back in Connecticut couch crashing, by the way), no family support system and no job leads. So I'm getting antsy, not to mention poorer and poorer. Initially, I was letting my finances dictate how long I would stay up here searching. But now, I don't know how much more mental stress I can stomach. If the job front doesn't change soon, as much as I would hate to do it, I may have to take a step back. I will grow insanely depressed every additional day I spend here forcing myself in a situation that isn't showing indications of being suitable for me.

Kind of morbid update, sorry. But you can't have any rainbows without any rain, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment