Saturday, May 16, 2009

Urgent Update!

ATTENTION!!! There has been a breakthrough on my journey to NYC!!!

So after contacting every person I know who may have contacts in the city, I finally received word from a friend who I met through the professional business fraternity I was affiliated with. I applied for the position, she put in a good word for me, and I have an interview this Monday for the job. I should have known New York would sweep me off my feet just as fast as its very streets are. I guess New York City being a fast-paced place covers all grounds. So I will be arriving Sunday night, interviewing Monday, and hopefully hearing back within the next two days whether I get the job or not. Luckily my friend, who is the same person who got me this opportunity, is allowing me to crash on her couch until the interview process is over. She is the epitome of the perfect person to have in your network. I've talked about how an unhelpful network is worthless. Well, she sets the perfect example of how great networking really is. If you're reading this, words cannot express how thankful I am for you. If I get the job, the first thing I want to do is take you out for dinner and drinks!

I never imagined I would get a bite this fast. I only graduated a week ago and expected to be working at the same restaurant I have been for the summer. But for some reason, I feel this opportunity is perfect for me. It could not have come at a better time since my lease ends this Tuesday and I was going to literally be homeless if I did not figure out what I was going to do/where I was going to be. I truly feel the puzzle pieces coming together for me and cannot contain my excitement. The only thing separating me from New York is this interview. No pressure, right? Ha!

And on top of that, being a college graduate has finally hit me. I was numb of the concept until now. Knowing that I'm about to start being a "real grown up" in the big city, away from family, friend, the familiar has really made me an emotional mess. First I'm jumping up and down elated, then the next second I'm teary-eyed thinking about people whom I've grown incredibly close to in a short amount of time. I'm so anxious to see my dream unfold in front of my eyes, but at the same time am saddened that I may lose contact with people I really care about. Of course, nothing lasts forever--I've done the whole moving up-and-leaving thing before (I'm a military brat, I've done it a million times). I guess being a military brat has really opened my eyes on this process. Because I know that I will lose touch with these people since it's happened before to me with other close friends I've had in the past. I have a chance to change the pattern this go-round though. Hopefully won't get to swallowed in the city and lose sight of my loved ones below the Mason-Dixon line.

As I'm writing this blog, I have an apartment full of stuff that needs to be out by Sunday before I leave. I'm posting a picture to show you all how much work I still have to do:



Needless to say, I will be up all night. But I'm praying all this stress will be worth it after Monday. For those of you that are reading this, please say a little prayer for me as well. I'm a big fan of The Secret (i.e. the Law of Attraction...read this), so if I get many people joining me with positive energy and thoughts of me successfully getting the job then we can really put the Law of Attraction to the test. I will keep you posted. See you in the city in two days! Ahhhhh! It's really happening!

No comments:

Post a Comment