Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Things I'm Going to Miss

This morning, at 8:00AM, I walked into my very last exam in my undergraduate career and felt a strange calmness. At 9:20AM, I turned in my exam when my professor asked me, "Are you graduating? I will need to grade your exam first if you are." I smiled, nodded, and walked out with a strange sadness. I've been anticipating the end, this moment, for such a long time--literally begging time to hurry up. And now that it is finally here, I can't help but beg time to slow down. College has flashed before my eyes faster than I ever thought a span of four years could move. All I want to do is enjoy my last days being a college student, basking in this moment but it's already all over. Normally I would fuss and complain about studying, holding it off until the very last minute. But during my FINAL final exam, I was comfortable and willing to study. Perhaps because it was the very last time I would partake in this practice, I subconsciously felt the need to relish in the moment. But for the first and last time, I was happy and enjoying studying.

As cliche as it sounds, graduating college is truly a bittersweet experience. The past four years of my life have been nothing short of a liberating experience that has been crucial in learning and growing into the person I am and will be. I'm healthily scared on what lies ahead of me. Coming out of high school I was convinced I would go to college, find my soul mate and get married. But now, I'm at a completely different place. No soul mate. No marriage any in sight yet. Let's hope this time my future plans are more realistic. What do I see for myself in the future?

New York? For certain.
Working for an ad agency? Hopeful.
Being a published author? Perhaps.
Soul mate? Laughable at the moment, but possible.
Marriage? Still no where in sight.
Success? Inevitable.

NC State, I'm going to miss you dearly. You've been my home, my adult foundation, my life. I cannot thank you enough for the past four years I've spent with you. I only hope to do you proud and show you what I've learned from you. I'm going to miss the deep-fried-everything, knee-slapping country music, cheerwine, southern accents, and even the mulch smell. I will always bleed red, and never forget where I came from.

In the words of Michael Scott (The Office), "You have no idea how high I can fly."

No comments:

Post a Comment