Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Gap in the Dream

Like many young ladies, the popularity of Sex & The City contributed to my profound interest in becoming a New Yorker. For me, it wasn't just about the glitz and glam of their lives--it was more about how each of the four gals were extremely successful in their crafts. Carrie, the witty columnist. Miranda, the cynical lawyer. Samantha, the PR go-getter. Charlotte, passionate & well versed of the arts. Each very different, but all held power that was impenetrable. This kind of success is what I thrive for.

Curled up in my bed, I watched the movie, aching to be a part of what is being a New Yorker. Carrie says at some point [to Miranda and Samantha] "You two could rule the world..." . That's when I got to thinking...how did they get to this point? Four very independent, head strong, and successful New York ladies with no story of their journey to this state. No story of their struggle to make it in the city. No story of how they made it to the top. No story of who they were before New York. How did I never realize this before?

The negation of these facts prompted me to turn the movie off. I was thoroughly upset at first. But then, I no longer cared. Perhaps having this omitted does more good than some would like to think. Those that are independent, head strong, and ambitious will figure it out on their own. I guess that's part of the transformation to New Yorker.

I returned to my bed, and pressed play.

No comments:

Post a Comment