Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Self Discovery

Everyday we learn something new about ourselves. It can be as minor as realizing you spend way too much time brushing your teeth, or as major as learning how easily you can write people off. I recently learned both of these in the same day. Both very different subjects, yet similar in that I couldn't initially decide whether either were good or bad realizations.

I mean, by brushing my teeth too long I'm doing no harm. Excessive brushing doesn't cause cavities, does it? I'm no dentist, but I'm pretty certain the only thing I'm losing in this process is time and toothpaste. So essentially this realization isn't quite bad...similar to the latter I've realized about myself. Of course it's silly to parallel these two since they are no way directly related to each other. But hear me out...

Is quickly writing someone off really that harmful? I think it cuts all the bullshit fluff and gets to the bottom line. And what's the bottom line? For me, the amount of energy and care I exert into a relationship is directly proportional to the amount the other person gives. So say for instance someone is an impatient, ignorant bitch that comprehends no concept differing from their own ethnocentric (or self-centric) beliefs (....hypothetically speaking, of course. ;) ). Well guess what? I cut the polite smiling, small talk and awkward silences and just kick them to the curb. Saves time and energy.

It may sound extreme, but I see no problem "brushing" teeth/things/people too much. I try to live my life in a positive light for the most part, and if someone wants to darken that light I have the power to change that effective immediately. Why not start with writing off the people insignificant and detrimental to my goals and faith, with a shining, pearly white smile?

No comments:

Post a Comment